This new cruise departs from Picton marina into the Queen Charlotte Sound, one of the main Sounds that makes up the stunning Marlborough Sounds at the top of the South Island of New Zealand.
Seafood Odyssea Cruise departs from Picton Marina at 1.30pm daily for an afternoon scenic cruise on board the Marlborough Travel launch. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the area and a commentary from your skipper about the region. The Marlborough Sounds are a stunning area to cruise with seemingly endless bays and coves to explore and different scenery around each corner.
During the cruise visit a New Zealand King Salmon Farm where you can go onto the farm (optional and weather permitting) to hand feed the Salmon and learn the fascinating process of Salmon farming:
- The lifecycle from smolt to maturity. How do the smolt get to the farm??
- Farming and feeding. What do they eat??
- Harvesting and sales. How do you get them out of the farm and where do they go??
- Sustanability and environmental impacts??
- How do they keep the predators (mainly seals) out of the farms??
After the Salmon its time for a different type of aquaculture with a look at suspension culture (the technique traditionally used to grow Mussels and now Oysters) More specifically the fabulous Tio Point Oysters
. This is a wonderful flat Oyster normally associated with a dredged Oyster from Bluff but now successfully farmed in the Marlborough Sounds.
Then comes the fun bit, a fabulous tasting of divine Regal Salmon, fresh Tio Point Oysters matched of course to a complimentary glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. A beautiful wine and food match in a beautiful part of Marlborough.!
Pricing and Details
Check in: 1.15pm at the Town Wharf Number 5. Picton Marina
Cruise Departure: 1.30pm
Tour Duration: Afternoon Cruise - 3.5 hours.
Season: 01 October - 30 April
Cruise Pricing: Adult $145.00 per person
Child Pricing: Child $59.00 per person (5 - 15yrs)*
* (Child price applies when accompanied by a paying adult).
Bookings and Enquiries to : email@example.com
Terms and Conditions:
- Cruise operates on strict minimum and maximum numbers.
- Adverse weather conditions may restrict or cancel cruise departures or limit access onto the Salmon Farm. Cruise availability and access onto the Salmon Farm due to weather and sea conditions will be at the sole discretion of the skipper.
- Forward bookings are essential to ensure cruise availability. It is highly recommended to book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Going onto the Salmon farm is optional for all guests and a good view of the salmon farm can be achieved while staying on the vessel.
- Flat soled footware is recommended.
Seafood Odyssea is a joint venture between Marlborough Travel and New Zealand King Salmon. Both companies recognise that people who enjoy good food really enjoy finding out were their food comes from. This new cruise gets people up close and hands on at the Salmon Farm feeding the fish and enables them to learn about the process, the life cycle, and the nutritional value of Salmon.